Sunday 13 November 2011

STEPPING OUT


What is the curfew time for you to reach home at night? And what should be the limit for girls? And why am I even asking these questions?!

Last Saturday, after writing a cruel test and having lugged the whole week for submitting the final draft of an assignment, my friends and I were desperate for a break. So, after churning our minds and considering the lack of time with me (the dark side of traveling through public transport: YOU HAVE TO COME BACK BEFORE DARK!!), we decided to go to the Hauz Khaz village. But it is a given fact that in a group of friends with diverse interests, ALL cannot enjoy ALL of the outing completely. So, after a part-boring, part-crazy exploration of Hauz Khaz Killa, we decided to compromise a little and accompany a shopaholic friend to Sarojini market, which proved a torture for the rest of us.

It’s funny how, after a while, propriety takes leave and we are unable to hide our thoughts. The more amicably we accept what our friends prefer, the better. After coming to our senses, that going out for a movie was one thing that would drown the buzz of mismatched preferences, we three took leave from Sarojini and our fourth friend, say X, (I can’t bring myself to risk my life by mentioning her name on the World Wide Web!) we reached Saket, further down. All that we could arrange three seats for In Time, starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried (sigh). About the movie, well, read the newspaper reviews! We somehow managed to stay alive by bringing our English Hons analysis to life, critiquing (or criticising, really!) every cliché’ dialogue and every unnecessary smooch. And yes, the time on hands! But worse was yet to come.

By the time the PVR attendants gave us our college bags back after the formalities, it was already 7;15 in the evening, and I was still at Saket! Catching the bus back to Sonepat would take me forever! Well, I called my dad and explained. Then I called up a wonderful guy friend of mine, who I knew would leave for Sonepat soon, and explained. Then I called my mother and explained, again! With the auto journey , the disrupted metro rides and candid secrets spilling out, it took me an hour to reach Kashmere Gate. And another 30 minutes for my friend to find me here! I could actually hear the blood running through its streams.

The bus moved from its spot at 9. We arranged for my friend’s parents to pick us up from the deserted bus-stop of Bahlgarh, since we could not find a direct bus. Though his parents were very accommodating, I was dying inside, thinking about my now-marred image in their minds.

My dad wasn’t yet home when I reached home, I thank Almighty. And my mother, after 5 minutes of venting out all the anger, hugged me and sobbed about the immense tension I had given her. And reiterated what (let us call him Y) Y’s parents would think of me. "LADKI 10 BAJE GHAR AA RAHI HAI. D.U. KI HAWA LAG GAYI HAI ISSE!!"

As I talked it over with my best friend, he just asked me if I would like to look back at my college life sans any crazy move or a rash evening. No, of course not! And it was fine, really! It was a wise move to wait and come home with my friend. And he proudly told me about his ‘lift’ riding adventures – how he pillion rode a random bicycle rider, and then a cart-puller! You see, you have to cover the distance, somehow or the other.

So, what I concluded in an agreement with myself is that, may be, I should step out of the cozy cocoon of my home and explore the world a little bit on my own. Or with my friends. I should laugh like crazies in the metro, with us pulling the most foolish of jokes. We should discuss the assignments, as well as our opinions about the fashion on streets. AND try to reach home at time, so I can have fun without the countless stares in the bus, and without pissing off my mother!


No comments:

Post a Comment